(1) Each of the following sentences makes at least one error (often more than one) in MLA citation format or usage. Correct all the errors in each example.
- A major reason families succeeded in the 1950s was that “federal assistance programs were much more generous and widespread than they are today.” (Coontz, p. 62).
- Stephanie Coontz argues that it was the generosity and availability of federal aid programs that made families seem so successful and reliable in the 1950s.
- Even politically conservative scholars admit that we “should not hide from students that Colombus and other European explorers were often brutal” (Cheney, 267.)
- Lynne Cheney is forced to admit that students should learn that even European explorers were “often brutal (Cheney 267).”
- Lynne Cheney concedes that students must be told the errors of our European past (p. 267).
(2) Convert this improperly formatted Works Cited List into proper MLA style. All the necessary citation information for entry is provided, but in scrambled order and with additional unnecessary language you’ll need to delete. The goal of this exercise is to get you familiar with using your handbook and web-based citation resources, of which you will be totally dependent on.
- A book by Edward Abbey called Desert Solitaire that was published in 1998 by Ballantine Books of New York.
- An article from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, January 17, 1998 issue titled, “Michael Jordan isn’t Ghandi.” The writer is James Doohan. The article is in the C section on page 2.
- “The Land Ethic,” an essay written by Sigurd Olson, from an edited Anthology, Constructing Nature, by Richard Jenseth and Edward E. Lotto, published by Prentice Hall in New Jersey in 1997. It’s on pages 181-195
- Article titled “Cuddyer inks one-year deal with Twins,” from MLB.com web site. Published 2/15/2007, written by Kelly Thesier. The URL is: http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070215&content_id=1803333&vkey=news_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min
- An article from the Bay Times newspaper called “Making Peace with Coyote” found through the EBSCO Academic Search Premier. It was published in Volume 7, Issue 1, page 7.
(3) Make your works cited page with the following sources.
Book with one author:
Book Title To kill a mockingbird
Author Harper Lee
Publishing place New York
Article in a magazine:
Magazine title Canadian Living
Article title Top 10 Harvest Foods
Author Fran Berkoff
Date October 2007
One Selection from an Anthology:
Selection Title The pines
Author John Mcphee
Anthology Editors Kim Flachmann and Michael Flachmann
Title of Anthology The Prose Reader
Publishing place Upper saddle river, new jersey
Page range 63-68